Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Queen of Procrastination


If anyone knows about procrastination, it’s me. I do believe that I am the undisputed Queen of Procrastination but hey, it has somehow worked wonderful miracles for me.
During my college days, we were always given two types of assignments throughout the academic year. One would be the numerous weekly assignments and the other, THE major assignment which would be a contributing factor for our grades. The major assignment would be given well in advance to enable us to do the necessary research, and we would only have to hand it in close to the final exams.
As usual, I would put it aside (out of sight, out of mind) and would only frantically work on it a day or two before the deadline. My poor neighbours must have gone crazy listening to me pound away at my typewriter (no, not computer) at such unearthly hours. Somehow I always managed to get excellent grades for my assignments much to the chagrin of my more hardworking classmates who had slogged for months on theirs.
I guess I belong to that category of people who can only produce their best under tremendous pressure.
My poor mum has had her share of “I’ll get down to it …” whenever it comes to helping around the house. From her vast experience, she knows that the clothes will remain unfolded, the floor unmapped, the windows unwashed, the curtains and cushion covers unchanged if she does not do it herself or tricks me into doing it.
Somewhere in my room there’s a closet which has yet to be opened because I have yet to organise and rearrange the contents so that it will not come tumbling down the minute the doors are opened. The collection of magazines in my room remains untouched and are quietly gathering dust because I have not quite got down to clipping those interesting articles and filing them away for future reference.
When my good friend Amarjit got married, I could not make it for the wedding but promised that I would meet up with the newly-weds. Now a mother of two school-going children, Amarjit has given up hope that I would actually turn up on her doorstep one fine day.
The battle of wills between me and the exercise machine still continues despite the fact that it has been placed in a strategic position where I never fail to see it.
But of course procrastination has its downs as well. Yup, I have been putting off getting married and now I’m at the point in my life when all the ‘nice’ guys are no longer available. They’re engaged, married or joined the priesthood.
But have I learnt my lesson? Nooo … former colleagues are wondering whether I’m still alive or not as I have yet to fulfil my promise of meeting up with them.
The correspondence school which I joined more than a year ago is still waiting for my first assignment.
The brand new journal which I bought at the beginning of the year and which was meant to be filled with my personal reflections is still brand new and unused.
The book which I promised myself I’d start writing someday still remains just that – a promise.
Sometimes I wonder if this procrastination will ever end. Is there a cure for it? Guess I could do something about it. Yes, I will definitely do something about it. I think I’ll get down to it …. Tomorrow.

7 comments:

J.T. said...

Lady Patsy, JUST DO IT. Whatever it is, just do it. I am still waiting for you to purchase a plane ticket to Germany so that you can come and visit me. Just Do It. For heaven's sake, start writing in that journal. Just Do It. Oh yeah, do you need help to sort out that closet? You may have to wait a year for me to return... or else just do it. Since you work well under pressure, I am going to start pressuring you into everything that you said you have put off. Are you up to the challenge?

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Helo Lady,
Did we go to the same U ah? If you are the Queen, I must be the King. And because I was good at procrastinating, I ended up nowhere. So I decided if was going to fulfill my dreams, I must get off my backside, and work on my dreams. I'm happy I made that decision because my children take me more seriously and so too lots of my friends. I'm not proud I did not achieve anything till now. I'm only glad I decided to do something and PLAY the game of life...and win.

HappyBroccoli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hie Pat, It is never to late! With God's grace anything is possible. Just like you started this blog now just continue to write in your jounal as well. God bless, Theresa

zorro said...

Dont we all procrastinate. I do that all the time but when I get down to it...I give it more than 100%...I always thrive under pressure...I dont regret procrastinating....but in the end I Just Do It. Welcome to Blogsphere.If you are in KL Bloggers kind of regroup every Friday night at the National Press Club and for mee rebus opposite Sect14 mosque every Tuesday from 11am on. Best guide for both venues is stand-up-philosopher.

Lady Patsy said...

Well people, I do think this is a start. Even though it has taken me to hit my 40s before I actually realised that I should seriously start doing something instead of putting it off all the time. Anyway I just got thinking the other day (I know its morbid but ...)I was wondering how my eulogy would sound. I mean what have I actually achieved in my life and I'm not talking about material wealth or titles or stuff like that. I would like my eulogy to sound something like this ... "She lived life to the fullest, she did everything her heart desired, she fulfilled her dreams ... etc." Know what I mean? Yes, I agree that it is still not too late to start and yes, I do need that constant "kick in my ass" to get me started. So folks feel free to nag me constantly okay and thanks for the support!

Rynth said...

Lady Patsy,,, Just do what yo want to do!! just like others say nothing is possible !!! just go and do I'm 1 also waiting your next blog!! JUST DO IT!!!

Procrastination Free Living