Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Slogans of Life

Ever wondered why people wear T-shirts with slogans or place stickers on their cars? Personally, I think it’s for my benefit. I do believe that the Man Upstairs has given up on me ever reading deep theological books or immersing myself in meditation. He knows too well that I’ve been getting my inspiration by reading T-shirts and bumper sticker slogans. That’s why never a day passes without my having a slogan filled T-shirt clad person thrust in my face, whether it’s on my way to work or going back home. And the minute I happen to glance out the window while sitting in the bus, that’s when a car with a conscience-pricking sticker happens to pass by.
Since I have been known to try many new diets (unsuccessfully), I naturally noticed this T-shirt wisecrack: The body is fuelled by the four basic food groups: Chocolate Candy, Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Ice-Cream and Chocolate Milk Shake. Unfortunately, that IS my kind of fuel.
But then there was the t-shirt that boasted: Veni, Vidi, Vegi: I came, I saw, I had a salad. And the most inspirational of all bragged: Bless me Lord, for I have thinned.
Switching from food to friendship, I love the message: A true friend remembers your birthday … but not which one it is.
How fortunate I am to have so many kind and forgetful friends who just happened to forget my most recent birthday.
I like this one too: Please Lord, let me PROVE to you that winning the lottery will make me a better person.
Couples will find this one amusing as well: Marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning!
Today I saw a greeting card with this message: God uses broken things. Broken soil produces a good crop, broken clouds shower down refreshing rain, broken grain makes hearty loaves of bread and bread broken with family and friends turns into a communion of love and sharing.
What a reassuring and hopeful thought for a person who has a broken hair dryer, a broken vacuum cleaner, broken resolutions, and yes, even a broken heart. We may live with our brokenness but we know that God will use that to make us whole. And we also know that no matter how many times we break our resolutions, God will never break His promises. Now isn’t that the most inspiring slogan of all?

2 comments:

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Dear Lady,
Here's one for your record. Its from Mark Hughes the Founder of Herbalife Intl. who changed millions of peoples lives with his mission and vision and also changed my life.
'Do your best today, and tomorrow, do a little better than today'.

Lady Patsy said...

Cool. I really like that. Have to start collecting a couple of mantras to get me going.