Thursday, September 27, 2007

Turning 42 ...

Turning 42 and loving every moment of it!

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Yeah yours truly just turned 42 and as much as I would like to say that I’m going out to paint the town red, I won’t. I woke up, came to work in the morning and will be going straight home after work in the evening. Have my dinner, watch a little TV and go straight to bed. No fuss, no fanfare … just another ordinary day.

It's not that I don’t believe in celebrating birthdays etc, but I guess I’ve just reached a stage in my life where my priorities have shifted greatly and I’ve learned to accept life one day at a time.
The 40's have impacted my identity by helping me find out how strong of a person I am. With all my trials and tribulations that I went through and am still going through, I feel stronger every day. I never knew that I was this strong of a person and so self determined. And I never knew there were so many tough bridges to cross, but I have crossed them and made it over to the other side.

Just last month, I went back to a full-time job after having had a relaxing 5 months or so at home. Given a choice, I would have loved to continue working as a free-lance writer but certain financial commitments did not allow me to do so for too long.

The company I joined is wonderful – the work is not too stressful and both my boss and colleagues are wonderful people and I enjoy the working environment.

It so happened that after I joined this company, I received two job offers with a higher pay, a senior designation and great perks. In the past I may have immediately grabbed either one of the jobs, but when I received the calls, I was not hesitant in turning down the jobs simply because I am happy here. Although I am not denying that money plays an important factor in my life, I realized that I would rather place personal happiness above monetary gain. I’ve passed that stage in my life where career comes above everything else.

I’ve also come to realize that at this age, I’ve broadened my views about a lot of stuff and I don’t find it strange that I can hang out with a bunch of 20-somethings and have a good time and that I can have a leisurely lunch/dinner and great conversation with someone in their 60s or 70s and have an equally good time.

Being in my 40s has also helped me to accept my physical appearance. In the past I would have been too concerned about my looks – wishing that I had a 36-24-36 figure etc and not an inch of fat on my body. Surprisingly I find that I can still feel sexy and attractive with my grey hair and my pear-shaped body – I am no longer inhibited by the way my figure is and have no need to camouflage it by wearing loose, baggy outfits.

So what if my breasts have begun to sag a little bit; so what if I don’t have a flat tummy and so what if my flabby thighs will wiggle and shake when I get into a swimsuit. I’ve learnt that if you are confident about the way you look, then that confidence will convert itself into beauty which will be seen by others and I’m not ashamed to brag that men still find me attractive – flab and all.

I know that my body will soon be assailed with all sorts of aches and pains that women in their 40s can look forward to. I’m not worrying my life away that I’m still single and my biological clock is ticking away. I’m not afraid of menopause and am being positive about having hot flashes. You are as old as you feel and I still feel like I am in my thirties or 20's.

Yes I guess this is what growing older is all about – its about enjoying life and learning to accept it one day at a time. So once again, Happy Birthday to me!

13 comments:

J.T. said...

Happy Birthday, Pat.

So glad to see that you have opened your chamber's doors.

Did you give your place a good dusting yourself or did you hire those hot hunks (in my blog) to spruce up the place - shirtless? hehe

Lady Patsy said...

Hi chweetheart,

Thanks once again for the birthday wishes. Those hunks you sent over sure did a great job - the place is now spick and span and I must admit that they did a WONDERFUL job on me as well ... that's why I'm too exhausted to go out and celebrate tonight ... can't go into too much details in public ... wink! wink!
Anyway its great to be back and thanks for keeping an eye on my chambers in my absence.

coffeerox said...

hey babes...

Once again... Happy Bornday...

Am glad you enjoy your current workplace and colleagues. (hehehe...) We love having you (and Derek and your beafy boys) be a part of the nutty bunch as well...

Have a blast ok!

^__^

Daphne Ling said...

Hi Lady Patsy,

As promised (on JT's blog), I am here on my old donkey (what to do? no money to buy horse!) to wish a big 'Happy Birthday!'...

Haha...Flab huh? Haven't reached 40 also, I've got a very ahem, 'admirable' amount of flab around my waist...

By the time I reach 40 ar, I will be carrying a lorry punya spare tyre...

Hehe...

Hope you have a great day nonetheless!

*Hugs*

Nightwing said...

Hello Lady Patsy,

Happy many returns. I come by way of JT's blog...hope u don;t mind.

And also a welcome back to the blogging world.

Age is only a number. As long as you are happy with what you do, that is the main thing.

And with a friend like JT, not a problem at all...:)

Take care and God bless.

Nightwing said...

Happy Birthday to you
This is your day
On this day for you
We´re gonna love you in every way
This is your day, your day
Happy Birthday to you, to you

Happy Birthday to you
You´re still young
Age is just a number
Don´t you stop having fun
This ist your day, your day
Happy Birthday to you, to you

This day only comes once every year
Because you´re so wonderful
With each and every thing you do
Hey

Happy Birtday to you
You´re still young
Age is just a number
Don´t you stop having fun
This is your day, your day
Happy Birthday to you, to you

This day is only for you
'Cause you´re so special in every way
happy Birthday to you.

By New Kids On The Block

Pi Bani said...

Happy birthday to you...
Happy birthday to you...
Happy birthday to Lady Patsy...
Happy birthday to you!!!

I am just slightly over 2 years ahead of you. Any chances of catching up with me? :)

winniethepooh said...

hahah cant help laughing with Pi Bani's comment. :)

happy birthday Lady Patsy..with age comes wisdom and i'm sure u still hv lots of wisdom to share with us readers :) Glad to know that ure enjoying your work. It is true, when one is happy in their work environment, that is sometimes more important than the moni..

hv a great week ahead Lady Patsy!

Lady Patsy said...

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm truly touched with all your kind wishes, prayers & thoughts.

I would like to thank my mudder, my fudder, my kindergarten teacher (oh wait, I never went to kindergarten), my cleaning lady (what mum? you mean we never had a cleaning lady and that was you all this while?), my gardener, the garbage collectors, the newspaper man, the roti man, the grocery shop keeper, the bus drivers, the LRT drivers, the numerous passengers (with whom I have to jostle and shove each morning and to the ones who rebut peluang to meraba-raba sikit in the crowded bus/LRT), my dear and beloved friends, my enemies, my lovers (both ex and present and the wannabes), fellow bloggers, and all my fans and of course God (Hey JT did I forget anyone?) for this honour and award (What? you mean this ain't the Oscars? Awww shucks, and I got my acceptance speech all prepared ...)

Anyway thanks people and its good to be back again.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Oh Happy Birthday Lady Patsy and welcome back. ;)

Rashikaps said...

Happy Birthday once again, you witty one. Wish you a fantastic year ahead. :)

Pak Zawi said...

Lady patsy,
Happy belated birthday. I am sorry I missed this posting. I had an early night last night. $2 years of enjoyable life, what more can you ask?
I am glad you enjoyed j.t's gift. Very thoughtful of her. I cant think of any better gift myself. Maybe a bottle of the best virtual champagne by email?
Its good that you have managed to manage your priorities in life. Coming to terms in ones life is the way to inner peace. There is so much to live for and time is short for anyone however young you are. just do the best while you can and while you have the time.
Have a good weekend.

Pak Zawi said...

Lady Patsy,
Typo there. Should read... 42 years of enjoyable life,....