Friday, July 6, 2007

It ain’t over till the Fat Lady sings

A friend of mine (of course after this fiasco I really don’t know whether I should still call her my friend). Anyway this “friend” of mine wanted to introduce me to her new colleague who happens to be from North India.

I wasn’t really interested but she was so persistent and said that he wanted to meet new people etc and so I thought to myself why not … it would be good to widen my circle of friends (which by the way has been seriously slashed down – only the genuine ones remain now).

She was telling me what a nice person he was, good looking ala Mr Bollywood (think Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Abishek Bachan … you get the picture), friendly, charming etc. At the same time, I guess, she must have also been doing some marketing on behalf as well. Well, what I did not know was that she had also showed him a picture of me (a group photo taken a while back).

My friend passed my e-mail address to him and one fine day I get this e-mail from Mr Kiran (that’s his name). After the usual pleasantries, he mentioned that he saw my photo and these were his exact words to me: “You are quite attractive, but you look heavier than me.”

What was this guy thinking? Had he already envisioned trying to carry me across the threshold or had he gone a step further and was thinking of the ‘woman on top position’? I mean what did my weight have to do with him wanting to have a friend?

Here he was, a total stranger, and he had the audacity to pass a disparaging comment about my weight. Who the hell did he think he was?

I admit that I certainly do not have the figure of a beauty queen but I certainly do have curves in all the right places and I am not going to apologise for that.

What is it with men and their obsession of pencil-thin women so much so that they don’t even want to be seen in the company of girls who are on the heavy side?

Have you ever seen the paintings by Michelangelo or Rembrandt? Have you noticed how well endowed the women in those paintings are?

I came across an article about this African painter, Aka Augustin Kassi who is well known for his paintings of ‘big’ women.

Here is what he has to say about them: God has created fat women, painting them is my way of celebrating and appreciating them.

Yes, there is a difference between fat and obesity. In various cultures world wide, certain amount of plumpness signifies prosperity and security. So it’s okay to be healthy and plump – it’s beautiful. And I’m not going to starve myself just because some jerk thinks that I look heavier than him.


I’d like to leave you with this poem by Tracie Brown who just sums it up beautifully:

BIG AND BEAUTIFUL

I'm Big and Beautiful
I am proud to be me
I'm happy the way God made and shape me

I may not be Skinny, Slim or Trim
but baby, I'm not trying to be like any of them.
I'm Big and Beautiful that's who I am

I never question my Size or my Weight
I'm Big and Beautiful
And still able to get Hot Dates.

I love me!
And a Big, Beautiful, Queen I am
Even if I'm not very Slim.

I love my Curves and my Big Golden Brown Thighs
No one can handle this if they tried.

I'm Big and Beautiful
What a honour it is to be me
Even if I don't have the Perfect Body.

I may be a Little Hippie with a Little Extra Meat
But men would consider this to be a Delicious Treat!

I may not have a Six pack or meet Society Standards
but this Big, Beautiful Sister can surely handle hers.

- Tracie Brown

18 comments:

J.T. said...

Hi Patsy chweetie

I purposely posted that last picture for you to tell you how I feel about that conceited Mr Kiran. I think he sees himself as Mr Perfect in the mirror. He is suffering from the "roland syndrome".
Remember Roland, that jerk? He made comments about my weight back in my 20s? Well, he deserves who he has now. hehe
I know I am mean, but I love it when I don't have to teach him a lesson. The best lesson for these guys is "what goes around, comes around."

If it was just for friendship, why would he care about your physique? Your friend must have omitted her true intentions for trying to hook you up with that guy.

Lady Patsy said...

Hi Chweetheart,

Yeah now you know why I really really hate all these kind of hook-ups. A guy thinks its okay to be balding and have a protuding belly, but God forbid that the woman should an extra ounce of flesh on her.

As far as I remember, you were always on the slim side - was Roland expecting you to fade away? Btw as they say, you should have told him to "cermin his muka first". He most certainly was not God's gift to women!!!

Elviza Michele said...

Dearest Lady Patsy,

Points well said! You go girl!

One of my best friends is a bit on the heavier side. That never bugs us for a second. In fact she is so well endowed and she got hordes of men staring at her, hmm, well, u know where.

I asked myself too what is this obsession with men and pencil thin women? There is nothing attractive if you look like a pencil. Duh!

Of course, prior to the maternity I was sort of thinner than now, size 8 to be precised. Now I am a tad fleshier after the baby. Never bother me. Can't fit into my old size 8 pants, so I just bought myself a size 10 pants.

I pity those nitwits who do not have anything to do but obsess about their weight.

Sorry this is a bit long. Take care sister.

Daphne Ling said...

Hear hear hear!
People come in all shapes and sizes and they're all beautiful, cos well, we all came from God, did we not? People who focus only on weight really have problems with the superficial...One day, when I meet you (I'm sure one day we will), I'm going to give you a big big hug, and my arms will go all the way around you, because hey, I'm pretty big too! *Hugs*

Lady Patsy said...

Hi Elviza,

Personally I have nothing against skinny women ... but just hate the fact that they are used as the yard-stick for fashion and beauty. And what's with all these fashion outlets? They only seem to have outfits meant for undernourished teenagers.

When I was in the US, I could easily find clothes my size and they certainly weren't under the XL category.

Lady Patsy said...

Daphne dear,

You're such a sweetheart and always know the right things to say. Yes I am most certainly looking forward to meeting you and in the meantime, lots and lots of hugs from one well-endowed woman to another.

Salt N Turmeric said...

the nerve tht guy! and he doesn even kno u? bagi pelempang aje Lady. If not pun cili mulut dia. So kurang ajar. grrrr....

winniethepooh said...

arrogant guy..As long as ure happy with who ure, lady patsy, just ignore this mr-who-he-think-he-is-person.

Lady Patsy said...

Hi Princess & Winnie,

The truth be known, if I ever had the opportunity to meet that jerk, I would have shoved him to the ground and just sat on him - then he would really know the meaning of "heavy".

Well that's life I guess - ever so once in a while, jerks like these cross our paths.

Elviza Michele said...

Sister,

I have done the tag. Yeay! Take care

Ummi said...

Kudos to u Lady Patsy!
Being a "heavy" girl myself, I could totally relate. But I learn to love myself and be happy just the way I am.

Lady Patsy said...

Hi Ummi,

Thanks for dropping by. My philosophy is "There is so much more of me to love!"

Ms J said...

oh goodness! Mr Kiran can go hang! what a rude first impression he gave of himself. I have laways told MrJ that my figure is made for the Renaisance period - more love to hold more bosom more butt more thighs. I tod him if i am a chicken, I would be deliciouso! (self promotion of one's body image is totally acceptable)
Patsy, i salute you for your confidencei n oyur figure. MrKiran doesnt sound good enough even as a friend.

sankochan said...

Stupiak guy!!! Wait till his wife gets pregnant and baby fats hanging all over her bod-DEH. NEH!!

Quote ugly betty, 'real women eat, have flabby arms and a butt!!!'

zaitgha said...

this guy just need a smack on his face ha ha ha...m quite lucky to meet many men who prefer their women well endowed he he...but of course like u said once in awhile we will come across jerk like this...i encountered a few myself ....

vagus said...

he was an idiot.
it's a good thing you saw thru that.

coffeerox said...

ok lah babes... a bit delayed with the comment. But I only just came across this lah...

anyway... I can honestly say that my size have been a bane for me for a while. In some ways I want to be slimmer but then again I don't want to do it for the sake of conforming to the prejudial perceptions that only twigs are attractive and worthy of attention from men and dogs alike.

So I am trying for my health if not for anything else...

But it is good to know / meet women who have never been hindered by sterotypical judgements to be happy and confident. It is women like these that we ought to celebrate and encourge our daughters to model after... not some blardy poster model who's pic has been massively doctored by photoshop!

^__^

Nightwing said...

That guy was a jerk. Give us guys bad names...Do not even think before writing those words.

I always say..if nothing nice come out from the mouth or emails...better do not say or write anything.

If i was a computer hacker i virus his computer.