Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My colourful take on life



I have a confession to make. I’ve been seeing the world through gold-coloured glasses. I know, I know, it’s supposed to be rose-coloured glasses but I never get things right!
This all started when a friend went overseas and brought me some wraparound plastic sunglasses that had two benefits: they cut out all the damaging rays hiding in that glorious sunlight AND I could put them on over my reading glasses and see to read in the sunshine.
They were exciting too because they made me look like a 60s movie star and all that was missing was an elaborate hair-do and a long, elegant scarf around my neck. The colour of the glasses was blue and that became a problem.
Those blue glasses made everything in the world look blue. Even on bright, sunny days, they made the view blue and sombre. All the brilliant red and pink flowers took on a peculiar purple cast. And the sunshine just faded into the blue! I tried to wear them to keep out the rays but I desperately wanted to let in the glow.
Then one day, I went to KLCC. There was a similar pair of glasses, but instead of blue, they were a bright, golden YELLOW. Just to experiment, I tried them on. Hello! It was a go for the glow – they lit up my life!
When I got home, I took the glasses and a book and decided to sit outside. As I glanced around, the flowers in the garden seemed brighter, the trees looked greener and my psyche got perkier. I settled back to enjoy the bright sunny day. When read-time was up, I took a look around at the lovely sunniness and then took off the glasses to go inside. What a shock! Bare-eyed, I realised that the sun was long gone, the sky was totally overcast, and grey clouds were rolling so fast that by the time I raced into the house, sheets of rain were pelting down hard. I put the glasses back on, and even in the middle of the storm, my garden looked sunny!
Ever since then, I’ve known just what to do when things look blue. I look at the world through my gold-coloured glasses!

3 comments:

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

lady patsy,

gold-coloured glasses? sound so cool. sure gives you gold-y picture of things.

i should get a pair.

Lady Patsy said...

Kak Nur,
There are times when we are too busy or too blinded by the materialistic world to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us ... hence I seriously believe that each of us needs to put on a pair of gold-coloured glasses ever so often.

J.T. said...

Gold! My colour. I think I need a pair too. I can just imagine the beauty. Seeing things ever so sunny on a gloomy day. A pair will come in handy during winter here. Oh! those dreadful winters.