Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Time out

Time stood still for me last week. My watch broke. Actually it wasn’t even the watch – just the watchband. But I soon found out that a watch on the wrist is worth two in the pocket.
I decided to take a chance and venture out minus my watch. Since I never knew what time it was, I didn’t know if I had more time than I thought to finish something or less time - it was less. I didn’t know if I should hurry or take my time – I should have hurried.
I found out that even without a watch to alert you, time marches on. I met a friend for lunch and we sat and chatted on because I was sure I had plenty of time to run the rest of my errands – I didn’t. I decided to jump on the bus and enjoy the scene instead of taking the much faster LRT because I was sure I had time to get to an appointment – I was wrong.
But all week I had this euphoric feeling that I didn’t need to hurry or scurry or even worry. Without a watch to warn me, I had no idea that I was running a day late and a dollar short all week. But you know what? By the end of the week, somehow everything got done anyway!
Maybe I won’t get that watchband fixed after all. It was a lot nicer to give my friend my undivided attention as I listened to her woes. I could empathise better when I wasn’t always glancing at my watch, wishing she’d talk a little faster. I enjoyed the scenery along the bus route and was amazed at the many changes that had taken place this past one year or so.
It was a lot nicer keeping calm and collected rather than bringing my blood pressure to its boiling point, worrying about every minute wasted.
I’m always thinking or saying, “I just don’t have enough time.” But I do. I have all the time there is. I have 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year. Time is not on my hands – but it is in my hands. It is how I choose to use it!

5 comments:

J.T. said...

Very inspiring piece, my dear. Maybe when we met up in KL recently, we shouldn't have used our watches. Then we wouldn't have had that 'rush mode' in us. Could have, should have, would have. Never mind lah.. next time ya.

Lady Patsy said...

Well, then one of us would have been waiting for ages while the other finished her chores i.e. hanging out the laundry, sweeping and mopping the floor, watering the plants etc ... ha ha ha. But remember that initial day when we planned to watch a movie but decided against it later because we did not want to rush? Well we did have a good time, just sitting and chatting and walking around the shops - so we weren't exactly slaves to our watches either - except that we wanted to leave the city before the 'after office crowd' got out.

J.T. said...

That is true, we weren't slaves to our watches except when trying to beat the "gomen" crowd followed by private sector crowd. It was certainly interesting to watch who will make a big U-turn at the premier toilets (at KLCC) after finding out they have to pay RM2.00 to take a pee. ;) It is worth paying that amount for dry floors and pleasant-smelling atmosphere.

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Time. Mankind have been struggling with this for centuries. Man have mastered almost everything except time. Today we still have courses in Time Management. I'm absolutely poor in managing my time. But at least I'm aware of it and working on it to make better use of my time.

J.T. said...

Anyway, back to talking about time (and not the wonderful washrooms at KLCC), I will leave a quote that makes a lot of sense.

*******************************
You will never "find" time for anything. If you want time, you must make it. - Charles Bruxton

*******************************