Sunday, June 3, 2007

Confessions of an ageing Drama Queen



I’m such a sentimentalist. I find it difficult to discard old stuff because I often attach so much sentimental value to it. It’s the same with my “friends”. When I get to know someone and decide to go a step further in enfolding them into my close circle of friends, it means that I really value them and care for them a great deal. I am there for them in their time of need, I am there to lend a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on … I don’t mind doing favours for them even though at times it may call for a lot of bending back on my part. If I know that they are depressed or upset about something, I let them know that I am there for them in case they feel like opening up and talking and never once have I turned my back on anyone.
I make it a point to keep in touch with my friends, even though we may not have seen each other for a while – I drop them occasional e-mails, text messages and the odd card now and then.
But these past few months have been a real eye-opener for me. I have discovered how true the adage “Laugh and the whole world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone” is. I have been going through a slightly difficult patch these couple of months and suddenly I discover that my so called “friends” have turned their backs on me. My attempts to meet up with them for a chat or my e-mails and text messages to them have gone unanswered or even if they answer, its always filled with excuses as to how busy they are.
Suddenly people don’t want to know if you are having a problem. They pretend as if nothing is the matter. They have no time for you.
People who have time and time again asked favours of me appear to have just discarded me like a piece of trash. Now that I am no longer of use to them, they can’t be bothered about how I am or what is happening in my life. The feeling of betrayal hurts so deeply.
I have been such a fool to have been so trusting, so open and so vulnerable and I have learnt a very bitter lesson. No more will I allow anyone to hurt me or take advantage of me! From now on, this is one selfish bitch! And in the words of Simon & Garfunkel ......


I am a rock
I am an island

I’ve built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need for friendship
Friendship causes pain
It’s laughter and it's loving I disdain.

I am a rock
I am an island

Don't talk of love
Well, I've heard the word before
It’s sleeping in my memory
I won’t disturb the slumber
Of feelings that have died
If I’d never loved,
I never would have cried

I am a rock
I am an island

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armour
Hiding in my room
Safe within my womb
I touch no-one and no-one touches me

I am a rock
I am an island

And the rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

8 comments:

J.T. said...

Poor thing Pat. I have been waiting for you to come on line but I never get to catch you. We did email, though. Please write and tell me what is bothering you.

Hey, I remember that song. Those wonderful CHOICE weekends. :)

Elviza Michele said...

Dear Lady Patsy,

Oh this entry touches my heart.

Here it goes *hug hug hug*

This too my dear, shall pass.... hang in there

Lady Patsy said...

Hi JT,

You have always been there for me, in fact as soon as you read my posting you called me all the way from Germany to find out what's wrong - now that is true friendship. Its a pity that those who are so much closer to me in distance have turned out to be so self-centred ... wish that there were more people like you around.

Hi Elviza,

Thanks for the hugs (really needed that). Its nice to know that I can get some words of comfort from people who hardly know me, while the ones who pledge "friendship till death" are merely doing lip service.
Thanks once again.

the witch's broo said...

Hi Lady Patsy,

It's been so long...
You stopped for a while.. so I stopped visiting becos you needed space and time for yourself.

Take care, my dear.
Think of good things...dream of wonderful things....

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

Dear lady patsy.

I hope you're okay, my dear, Wish I could tell you comforting things...
take care,dear lady patsy.
like the witch said, dream good things.....

JamyTan said...

Hi Lady Patsy,

I wish I can give you a hug, but here is the cyber hug from another ageish sentimental !

I too have been very trusting until my fiance kena curi by one of girls I knew whom I have taken shelter.

If you think I have learn from my experience, it happened to me 3 times until I am so scare to tell people I have a bf.

There are a few girls whom I knew have the same exp.

Take care Lady Patsy.

Lady Patsy said...

Hi People,

Thanks for the words of comfort. Just need a couple of days more to wallow in self-pity and then I will snap out of it. Hope to be back in circulation by this weekend. So see you soon and thanks everyone once again, for the words of comfort.

winniethepooh said...

Hi lady patsy, hop over from j.t. blog.

Be strong, be happy, behind every cloud there is sunshine!

take care and keep smiling!